Monday, December 04, 2006

"zow shang how"

So, I tried out some of my Chinese this morning with the driver that JCI provides to our family for all our transportation needs. When Mr. Liu responded with a smile, I knew that I must have been close and definitely did not offend him.

The subject title above translates, "Good morning". The rest of the drive with Mr. Liu was deathly silent though because I had exhausted my Chinese language capability. (He speaks very little english) I spent the drive reading my chinese-english dictionary. By the time we arrived, I had figured out "shyeah-shyeah" which means thank you. He proceeded to kick me in the shin because he thought I said "your van smells like cat on stick". J/K.

My Dad successfully called our house today. I'll update the blog once I get the details on what service he used. I believe the call costed him 42 cents for the connection plus 2 cents for each minute. I thought that was reasonable. We'll post the going rates people are getting so that we can all find the best deal possible.

We are still working to get the internet connection up and running at the apartment. Soon thereafter, we'll start posting pictures/video of the kids/apartment/activities/etc. I'm logged on at work right now and the blogger website is in Chinese so I'm clicking links/buttons based upon memory.

Thanks for your prayers. The biggest challenge thus far is the time change. The kids don't want to get out of bed from naptime. The one day we let them continue sleeping after nap, they woke up ready to rock and roll at 10pm. Not good!!! Also, they are missing the bulk of their toys that are being shipped by air. Aimee explained today that Elijah is following her around all the time because he's got nothing else to do. The bag full of toys we brought on the plane are not enough to keep Elijah occupied. I think they will start taking advantage of the clubhouse (swimming pool, indoor play area, game room, etc) on a daily basis. It's very convenient.

More to come later.....

11 comments:

Linda Aalderink said...

So great to hear from you Bowmans! Ryan, keep up the great work with the language! (Wear shinguards!) Praying for you today as you begin your job. Aimee, love ya! Hugs to all!
Love from snowy and very cold Hamilton,
Linda

Anonymous said...

Zow shang how you sleepy head. I trust you are getting some zzzzzz's at 2:30 in the morning. Glad to hear the trip went well. You sure got out of here in time for all the nice snow. We've problably got 5-6 inches now. I can't believe how quiet it is here now without that cell phone blairing every time you get a call. Best wishes dude. "till next time, Brent

Anonymous said...

Hi Bowmans!

Just wanted to check in and see if you made it safely to the other side of the world. Sounds like the adjustment is going ok. Hopefully the long plane ride was good.

Things are the same here, and Brent mentioned, we have lots of snow, gives a nice Christmas feel.

Oh and I lost again in FF.. doesn't look like the Rockstars are going to be playoff bound.. Oh well.

Take care!

Stacey

Anonymous said...

hey i am so glad you guys got thier i have been praying for you and will continue too!!! I am so glad that thinkgs went pretty good!! well tell the kids i say hi and i want to call so we'll see but i hope you guys are doing great and i will talk to you later!! my e-mail is milk_duds16@yahoo.com just incase you need anything!! well i love you all and hope to talk to you soon!!!

Ryan said...

We love you Bowmans! Thanks for keeping us posted with your Blog. We look forward to talking to once your internet is up.

2Stix said...

Greetings Bowmans from some fellow GraceNuts! Ryan - Hope work is going well and everything is coming together for you - albeit slowly I'm sure. We'll continue to pray for your family. Keep your long fuse handy cuz dealing with the language barrier can get old. Aimee, just pop in the Grace CD from time to time and smile. God Bless - The Sanders

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhhhhhhhh! How incredibly cool!!! You're officially my new favorite blog!! So glad to be in the loop now with your exciting globe-trotting lives!!!! Congratulations on the impending mini Bowman!!! Oh my gosh, how exciting!!!!
Ryan, I just love your quirky sense of humor! Your blogs are truly hilarious!!
Blessings all over to your little family! Aimee can't wait to hear more of your take on the whole experience!
WE love you guys!!
Kristin

Kathy Bowman said...

Hi...My blog comment didn't post last night so I'll try again.
We called using PennyTalk. It's 49 cents for connection and 2 cents per minute. Our 20 min call cost 87 cents. To call Ryan and Aimee dial...011-8621-6856-4702.
I replied to your email with this info too. Not sure why it's not going through.
Hope all is well. Hugs and kisses to Anna and Elijah!!
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Ok Ryan. Ted has officially taken over your responsibilities for blairing cell phone ring. Although his ring tone isn't as cool as yours. Brent

Ryan said...

Hey Kathy Bowman,

I think I need a few more details on PennyTalk. Is that actually a card I need to buy or something? I just picked up the phone and dialed the number you listed. I think it is like 7:40pm there (it is 7:40 am CST). I heard Aimee say hello but apparently she couldn't hear me because she hung up.

Ryan said...

http://www.pennytalk.com/

I should have guessed that.