Friday, January 11, 2008

Haircuts in Shanghai




No matter where you are living in Shanghai, you are close to a bunch of people. And with that comes all the things people need, like a barbar shop. There are at least 6 barber shops within a 5 minute WALK of our home. Until this particular day, the kids had gone to a special shop that was higher priced. It also required them to drive there. I've been going to a local, lower cost shop for a several months now.

So, on a recent Saturday I walked the kids over to this place. The plan was for all of us to get haircuts. The employees at the shop do not speak English but haircutting is not a real complicated deal. I took pictures of my head to convey my wants. (Taken after my last haircut in the USA). With the haircuts, a shampoo and rinse comes standard. Anna thought this was great. Perhaps I should not have introduced her to this type of pampering at this early age. It's all downhill from here.

We passed on the shampoo for Elijah although he did get a rinse after his cut. And since I was "in the seat" as Elijah wandered to the back of the shop to the recliner and sink combo, I had Anna tag along to show him the ropes.

They did great, especially after a second employee came to assist Elijah's cut by holding his bobblehead still.

And we spent $10 for the 3 of us. Chinese nationals typically between 1 and 2 dollars for their haircuts. You figure with the competition of 5 to 7 other shops in the immediate area, your prices drop to pennies.

See ya.

1 comment:

Joab Meyer said...

Got to love the shampoo in the chair. Your place looks like four stars compared to the hole we go to- I'll be over next week!