Friday, March 21, 2008

Bicycle Riding in the city

The big lights of the city are next to the old areas. Many of these areas are being torn down to put up bigger skyscrapers. We rode in and out of alley ways similar to this one. Those are residential homes lining the alley. There's an outdoor sink below the hanging laundry.

"Street food" vendors congregate in large bunches throughout the city. We stopped for a fried pancake with some green onions inside. Gerrit took a turn flipping.
I was doing about 30 MPH in this photo. : )
I like to sneak peeks into the homes on my way by. I see everything from rudimentary kitchen ovens to TVs to beds. Often I see the residents "doing life".
Xintandi is a popular expat area that caters to expats with upscale restaurants and a Starbucks. On warmer weather days, we have 10-12 riders.
To get to the big city areas, we have to cross the river. Dozens of ferries offer the chance to take a boat ride. This is the entrance to one such ferry. I think we paid about 12 cents each, including our bike.
We often see market areas where they are selling everything from meat to vegetables. Vegetables are there on the left.
This street offered more space than the alleyways.
The market areas often are very congested, creating some tight spots to squeeze through.
The older chinese women are so cute but normally very camera shy. I've found that I can catch them "off guard" when I'm moving along on my bike.



No comments: