Thursday, March 03, 2011

Better late than Never?


My apologies for the delay on this blog. I got a fairly good variety pack of the foods that are often offered at work. A preface: my employer is a joint venture meaning my employer (Johnson Controls Inc) has a partnership with a Chinese company. The company provides a subsidized set of meals through the day and night (we are a 3-shift operation). I typically join for breakfast (~4 times/week) and every day for lunch. The price for all employees: white collar, blue collar, operations is the same. 2 RMB for breakfast and 2 RMB (Chinese RenMinBi) for lunch. Given the current exchange rate, each equates to to a whopping 30 cents. I actually look forward to the lunches. The breakfasts are not as appealing. They consist of a hard boiled egg, a bread bun with veggies inside, and a bowl of hot noodle soup. Find below several days' of lunch fare with play-by-play:
You are going to certainly notice a pattern and the white rice comes standard, along with that blue carton which is a yogurt. They stab the yogurt with a straw (no spoons here). Chopsticks on the left edge. For each pic, I'll start top left corner and go clockwise: Each lunch includes a choice of meat. Always 2 or 3 choices with one typically being fish. This day included some chunks of meat and bone. Probably pork and the bones go right into the bowls. They don't do any sorting of bones. Some chunks are just bone. You don't know it until it's in, and if confirmed bone, purge. After making the meat selection, up comes choice #2. It's often a choice that includes tofu, bean curd, or some other mystery non-meat. On this day, it was a noodle type food of which I don't know the material. But it tastes alright. Then the standard bowl of sticky, white rice. Each lunch includes a bowl of soup. No choice here, you just get what they offer. It's always piping hot. It was eggdrop this day. The other choice is 2 of 3 or 4 vegetables. There's always something green available like cabbage, cucumber (I think), bok choi, sprouts.... I chose the sprouts and baked beans this day. These baked beans are not real hot and sauce is not thick. It's typical to use your big bowl of sticky rice as a "plate". You bring the other foods over to it, dump sauces on the rice, and generally just flavor the rice as you see fit. Rarely does one eat the entire rice bowl plain.
Ok, remember top left clockwise: Sliced onions in sauce, have no idea, chicken with all sorts of bones mixed in (I think they just took a big machete to a carcass with no regard for butchering 101), rice, green vegetable, maybe cabbage, egg drop soup again.
Egg drop soup, tofu (ewwww), rice, dry fish (packed with bones and hazardous to one's esophogus, eat with care) and more greens. Must have been a rough day because I only took 4 small bowls including tofu.
Pork/Bone chunks, crispy greens, cabbage I think, rice, sprouts, non-egg drop soup (I don't know the correct names, and I mean english names, for most of this stuff)
Fried pork/bone, cooked celery (everything is always cooked, never raw), light colored cabbage, funky egg drop soup, sprouts, sticky rice
Egg drop soup, cabbage, cauliflower, rice, complete fish with head, fried with orange sauce, more green veggies. So, I could not bring myself to grab one of these fish so I snapped this photo of my friend's tray. Mind you, complete fish show up regularly in a variety of presentations. When they are not fried, they look even more fishy. Fried just has an amazing ability to make anything look more appealing. Anyone getting hungry yet?
Lettuce, Mushrooms and green shoots, KFC-like fried drumstick, rice, seems like more cabbage but these have not all been the same cabbage, more like cabbage 1, 2, 3, 4 or mystery green veggie A, B, C, or D. ?-drop soup. Not sure it was egg that they dropped in this one.
Cauliflower with beans, rice, ? with a carrot, fried fish, cabbage F, soup.

And now you have a week and a half in the life of Ryan at the canteen for work lunch. I do enjoy the lunches and you certainly can't beat the price. My colleagues always remind me that this is hardly quality chinese food but I like it. Maybe my expectations are too low.

The pictures loaded super fast today so maybe you'll see more blogging from the Bowman's. Have a good weekend.

3 comments:

Joab Meyer said...

WOW- that is quite the green/white/brown food combo groups! Thanks for the post!

Renee said...

Going to China would sure kick my diet...I am not sure I could stomach any of this! Good for you for trying...maybe the smell thing helps. Although to eat these items being blind could be of some help as well. Miss you guys!

Jason and Lisa said...

You do get used to it and learn to appreciate it more than the processed, frozen food here. I would rather have this than what they serve my kids at the school cafeteria. Probably not the best quality chinese food because it is not as fresh as they like nor cooked 1 minute before you eat it.
Eat well!