Saturday, October 27, 2007

Beijing Quack Quack

In addition to a famous wall, the 2nd famous item in Beijing is their roast duck, called Quanjude duck. Zhao Jianqing, Zou Yan and myself headed to a famous restaurant that has been serving the specially prepared duck for 150 years. It was located on Beijing's famous shopping street, Wangfujing Lu. Check this out for info.

My 2 colleagues grossly underestimated my ability to pack away roast duck and started with a half-duck order. A chef wheeled out the specimen and began carving away, with a very large knife. I think this guy moonlights as a samurai. The duck is not intended to be eaten alone but intends to be incorporated into a famous "package". It involves a small tortilla like round packed with the duck, lettuce, sweet sauce and any combination of cucumber/garlic/salt/hot peppers. It was not easy to eat with chopsticks. The patrons split 50/50 between using chopsticks and the hands. I sided with the latter most of the time.

After we finished the first half, my friends were ready to pack it up for the night. I explained that I had more packing left to do. So, we ordered another half and I nearly made it through that one as well. (They couldn't resist tacking on a few more bites as well). And the next morning, Zhao Jianqing decided that we probably would be ready for another round of Quanjude roast duck in a year.





No comments: