Tuesday, January 09, 2007

An update by the Mrs.

Ryan told me at dinner tonight that I needed to post a blog. Now that I have read the last post, I understand why. He wants some sanity represented on this site. I will make sure that all pictures posted are appropriate (that is if I am awake when he posts them).

Being the serious representative of our family, I'll give you my kind of updates...
We went to church on Sunday for the first time as a family and it was great. At first I almost cried because it was just one more place where I didn't know anybody or how anything worked (meaning the kids programs, sign in, etc). Things got better soon after the kids were dismissed to children's church. Another mom bringing her daughter noticed that we looked new so showed us where to go and made us feel at home. She has a four year old who held Anna's hand as I left the room, and is home Tuesdays and Thursdays--the first 4 year old we have found not in school all day, every day! We talked about playing sometime soon. After church was dismissed, we found many people to talk to who encouraged us. It was so nice to meet like-minded people who have been where we are at now, know how difficult it can be, but share how good it will become. God is good!

Anna had her first swimming lesson on Monday and LOVED it! She did a great job holding her breath and going under the water. Towards the end, she even was being propelled across a short distance of the pool by her teacher. While she swam, Elijah and I met the other moms of kids taking swimming lessons. Each of the families was from Great Britain. I had fun listening to their accents, though sometimes had no idea what they were saying to me... Smile and nod. They all seemed very nice. On the freezing walk home, we met our next door neighbor who is expecting her second child any day now. She is from Sweden and has been here for 1 1/2 years. She has a 2 1/2 year old boy so hopefully we have another play mate right next door!

Elijah is a little talker. Everyday he surprises me with some new word or phrase. He is such a happy guy. I think he gets cuter everyday! He is Anna's and my big helper. Anna does not like to be upstairs by herself so anytime she is going to go upstairs, she asks Elijah if he will go up with her. I am amazed, but he always says yes and follows her up the stairs and then back down again. He is a sweetheart! He likes to help me sweep, wash dishes, well, you saw the video! He is a cleaning machine! He is still a daddy's boy--it is very fun to see him pummel and wrestle Ryan to the ground every evening after dinner. Tonight, Ryan said "do you want to see the definition of a magnet" then went and layed on the ground, and not 10 seconds later, Elijah came and jumped, throwing his body on top of Ryan's and the wrestling began, (Anna is never far behind, poor Ryan)

This week Anna and I started doing "school" again. She loves doing art projects and working on her letters. It is very fun to see her love of learning. We both look forward to the games, manipulatives, books and other supplies that come on the boat soon.

I hired an Ayi today. She starts next Monday. I will let you know how that goes. I think that I can find common Chinese phrases on the internet so I can have a list of things that I want her to do. My next doctor apt. is next week Wednesday so if things go well on Monday, I may leave the kids with her. Right now, I am a little doubtful that they will stay though. They still are pretty shy around people that they don't know--especially when they do not speak English. I think it will probably take some time for them to get used to Cui Daorong (and me to learn how to say her name!). It is a blessing that we can afford the help. Because I only want her part time, we have to pay a little more than normal, but are still only paying 14 RMB (about $2) an hour. Crazy! That's it for now. Thanks again for all of your prayers. I see God's hand in our lives everyday.

Ryan wanted me to post, "3 days and counting."

2 comments:

missy said...

It is so wonderful to hear all the little things and big things are falling into place.

We love you Bowmans! I was talking to Ryan about a trip to China - he said that if we can find a good deal and the timing works out we'll talk about it more seriously. It would be so amazing to come and experience a part of all this with you.

love you all,
missy

Linda Aalderink said...

Boy, sure am glad I checked the blog tonight, sure wouldn't want to miss The Toilet Blog!!
On the edge of my "seat" :)
la